What do I need to setup ddns?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 18:12:22 UTC 2002

Elliott Bujan wrote:

> my servers are running under linux 7.2
> bind: 9.2
> dhcp 30pl1

This has been discussed before, so the archive has some good
links to worked examples.

The bit that is 'hard to find' in the documentation is the magic
glue from DHCP to DNS, although if you search the ISC.ORG
mailing list archive Ted Lemmon has posted all the details you
need without buying his book.

Using domain "eighth-layer.internal" and scopes in  192.168.0/24
and 192.168.1/24 (I know it should be random bits of 10/7 these
days but it is just a test network)

#  new DDNS parts in /etc/dhcpd.conf
key test. {
         algorithm hmac-md5;
         secret "...see bind 9 Admin reference manual for
example key generation....."; }
zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
  primary 127.0.0.1;
  key test.;
}
zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
  key test.;
}
zone eighth-layer.internal. {
  key test.;
}

ddns-update-style interim;

And you add allow-update statements to the zones in named.conf
as per the Administrator reference manual. Then the magic
happens ;-)

 Hope that helps,

 Simon