dhcp update dns

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 7 02:32:37 UTC 2002

Bill Manning wrote:

> % I don't see anything in the Linksys documentation which suggests it has the
> % ability to generate Dynamic Updates to a DNS server. What do you expect from
> % such a cheap device (don't take that personally: I use a Linksys too)? If you
> % already have a functional DNS server on your LAN, why don't you make it a
> % DHCP server as well and then you can integrate them together?
> %
> % - Kevin
>
> and for that matter, put your web server, print spooler, and shell accounts
> on the same machine?  * note well, this is an attempt to point out that
> there are -REALLY- good reasons to seperate functions onto distinct platforms.
> my dhcp server is -NOT- on the same platform as the DNS.  It runs all by
> itself.

Oh, sure, it's so much better to run DHCP on the Linksys box, which is already
doing NAT, firewall (filtering, port-forwarding) and possibly layer-2 switching
and maybe even wireless stuff, bridging, etc. (depending on what model of Linksys
we're talking about), not to mention hosting an HTTP-based
configuration/informational utility...

- Kevin