Cache strangeness

Robert Weber Robert.Weber at Colorado.EDU
Wed Nov 6 20:13:56 UTC 2002

Hello all,
	I'm running 8.3.3-REL on several sun systems.  I have turned off
nscd on these systems as well.  What I have been seeing is a strange train
of events repeated a few times.  Another domain will change the
forward/reverse maps for a host(in this case www.hamiltoncompany.com) and
their primary reverse dns server will also fail.  The end result in this
case was that the forward pointed to 207.13.227.54(new ip) but the reverse
failed a lookup.  The problem came when one of their reverse servers came
back on line, but bind had somehow "cached" the bad answer, and bind
continued to return no such host errors on lookups.  I restarted bind to
clear the cache, and the first lookup returned 1 timeout, then found the
correct info and now works.  Is there some way cached answers are looked up
differently than uncached ones, with the later trying more servers?

Please advise.

--
<!-- |**|begin egp html banner/			UnixOps/ITS