The default query-source uses which IP address?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 6 19:13:05 UTC 2002

wave_rider wrote:
> Could someone please answer this question?
>
> The bind is set up as a caching-only server and listens to
> 127.0.0.1:53.
>
> This system has two network interfaces, eth0 and eth1. The
> /etc/named.conf doesn't define query-source. "man named.conf" says
> that INADDR_ANY is used if query-source is not defined, but it doesn't
> mention which IP is used for a multi-homed system. I know I can use
> query-source to be sure. But I would like to know which IP is used
> when the bind makes a query without query-source defined.

It's the IP address of the network interface from which the routing table
tells named to send the query.  So, for your name server, it would be
the address that starts with 199 for most queries, except those sent to
name servers on 192.168.0/24 or 127/8.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/