hello gurus

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Nov 5 19:25:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:14:05PM +1100, Graham Dinning wrote:
> How can I set up the DNS records to say
>
> www.firstdomain.com TRY yyy.yyy.yyy.193 first and if no luck try
> xxx.xxx.xxx.193.
>
> Is it similar to the MX record priority scheme?
> Is it possible in the first place?

Not currently a part of DNS.  Try putting a load balancer such as a
BigIP box in front of your Web servers.  You can buy a BigIP box from
F5 Labs, or (I am told reliably) you can buy a PC from Dell and get it
delivered with F5 software on it.  Fairly reliable - it is BSD/OS
based.

There are experimental schemes to do this within DNS, but they are not
in use in your average browser yet.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B