Problems Chrooting under Bind 9

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Nov 4 05:59:17 UTC 2002

Bill Smith wrote:
> I downloaded the package from sunfreeware and installed it as such.
> Defaults I believe are /usr/local/etc for config files as I didn't
> change anything to move it there.

If named is in fact compiled to look for named.conf in /usr/local/etc
(you can verify this by running "strings named | grep named.conf),
and you're also chroot()ing to /usr/local/etc, the path it ends up
trying to open is /usr/local/etc/usr/local/etc/named.conf.  Try
running "named -t /usr/local/etc -c /named.conf"

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/