Where do I set to allow secondary xfers?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sat Nov 2 22:47:49 UTC 2002

Lee Fuller wrote:
> Have bind for windows running successfully. But was installed as a
> part of another piece of software.  We have a primary name server
> running on another system, yet we need to have the domain names on
> this machine propogate to the primary name server.
>
> So, our thought is that we'll make our primary name server a
> secondary to this new system running bind.  However, I do not know
> where/how to set the the bind server to allow the primary to grab
> it's domains.
>
> Can anyone point me to this?

By default, the name server should allow any remote name server
to transfer its zones.  Zone transfers are restricted using the
allow-transfer substatement, so look for one or more of these in
your name server's named.conf file and add the other name server's
address to the list of allowed addresses to let it transfer the zones.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/