Domain name misspellings routed correctly problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 29 01:16:22 UTC 2002

Kevin Bramblett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a RedHat Linux 7.2 implementation of Bind 9.  I am trying to set
> up my DNS servers so that if someone mistypes my domain name it will be
> automatically rerouted correctly (for example:  they type mydomain.com when
> they actually mean www.mydomain.com).
>
> How would I write this in the zone file(s)?

How well do you understand all of the nuances of zonefile syntax? The safest
thing would be to add an A record with an owner name of the zone,
dot-terminated, at the end of the zonefile. That way you make the owner name
completely unambiguous and don't risk accidentally "re-interpreting" the owner
names of any RRs below it.

If you're pretty familiar with zonefile syntax, you could instead use "@" as
the owner name (either at the end of the zonefile, or, if you wish, it should
be safe to put this RR above any RR with a non-whitespace owner name). If
placed correctly, you could even use whitespace as the owner name, which tends
to be more readable. Typically, such A records are placed near the SOA, NS and
the (optional) MX records having the zone name as their owner names.

- Kevin