caching only and /etc/resolv.conf - new user

Brian O'Gorman Brian.O'Gorman at noaa.gov
Fri May 24 23:32:28 UTC 2002

Why would I need to have an entry in the /etc/resolv.conf on the machine
which is running DNS as follows

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Yes,  I know this the local loopback IP, but what good does it do in
this file? The O'Reilly book  in chapter 6
says it is for hosts that don't understand the zero address.

Do other UNIX machines on my network need a local loopback entry their
/etc/resolv.conf, or may they just point to the machine running DNS?

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: brian.o'gorman.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Brian O'Gorman