Win 2k & DDNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 22 20:35:50 UTC 2002

michael.nj at verizon.net wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<acc6os$a2m5$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > michael.nj at verizon.net wrote:
> >
> > > If I have a Win 2k DNS server on a static IP, how can I get a Windows
> > > 2000 machine on a dynamic IP (like Cable or DSL) to do dynamic DNS
> > > updates to the Win 2k server on the static IP?  The Win 2k box is not
> > > a domain controller so it is not part of any Active directory 2k
> > > Domain - I am using it as a standalone system running a Primary DNS
> > > setup.
> > >
> > > Since I will set the machine's name to match the "A" record that I
> > > want to put in DNS as well as have the domain set on the machine to
> > > match the domain it will register in, that should be all I need to do
> > > on the "dynamic IP" machine (aside from check off the Register this
> > > machines DNS... setting).
> >
> > Is anything in this scenario running BIND?
> >

> > - Kevin
>
> Question I left out in that original post is whether or not I COULD
> use Bind to do the Dynamic DNS updates since I do hate Win2k's DNS for
> many reasons...

BIND can accept Dynamic Updates from Win2K clients as long you don't try to implement security.
This is because Win2K's method of Secure Dynamic Update (based on GSS-TSIG) is not compatible
with the standards-defined TSIG method.

Or, are you asking whether BIND can be used on a Win2K client to update a Win2K nameserver? I
suppose you could use the Win2K version of the "nsupdate" utility that comes with BIND to do
this, and in that case you could implement security via shared-secret TSIG, but the hard part
would be integrating such a function into the Win2K DHCP subsystem (it's not enough to just put
something in the system startup, since it's possible for a dynamic IP to change even with a
DHCP release/renew).

- Kevin