Sequential/Round Robin DNS Resolving

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed May 22 18:26:32 UTC 2002

Stan Fry wrote:

> I have tried setting up a DNS caching server, as an intermediary but
> have had no luck in discovering how (if it is indeed possible) to tell
> the server that if it cannot resolve www.networkone on one DNS server,
> try the other.
>
> "You can't do that" would be a depressing but acceptable reponse,
> because at least I'll stop killing myself.

You can do that using forward statements but....

it is probably best if the network one server is busy, for the
local caching only server to become a secondary for the zone in
question.

You could use forwarding or other esoteric techniques, but
you'll still end up making the busy server busier.

Surely they have more than one server for their internal zones?
If not perhaps you can keep them sweet by off loading the work,
and increasing the redundancy?!