bind on ppp

Stephen Mawdsley stephen at altanet.com
Tue May 21 23:35:16 UTC 2002

At 04:36 PM 5/21/2002, you wrote:
>I run a BIND 9.2 server on a PPP connection, my ISP disconnects me
>every 24 hours and the problem is that BIND usually needs about 1 hour
>to notice that the IP has changed (it writes a message like 'no longer
>listening on ip x.y.z.x' to the log file) and to start listening on the
>new ip,
>does anybody know how to solve this?

Greetings Robert,

One way would be to write and cron a shell script that automatically
disconnects your server from your ISP before you are force disconnected
(lets say every 20 hours).  Then have the script reconnect you and then
restart the bind daemon.  This way you can have control over your
disconnection and reconnection as well as the availability of your name server.

Regards,
Stephen