Prob between 9.1.3 and 8.2.1

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 21 21:32:23 UTC 2002

In article <acedsc$b6rp$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
PhWashington  <PhWashington at attbi.com> wrote:

> I noticed that one of our DNS servers was not answering nslookup and
>starting looking into why.  The configuration files appear to be exactly
>the same.  The system which wouldn't respond to nslookup was running
>bind 9.1.3.  I configured 2 MS(W2K and NT) machines to query this system
>and neither one could get a response with either nslookup or a browser.
>Looking at the config files the forwarders were exactly the same.  After
>reading some of the documents I added 'auth-nxdomain yes' to the
>options.  I'm not sure exactly what this does, but if I was reading
>correctly this was the default setting in 8.2.1.  I restarted named and
>looked in the message log and saw nothing that indicated an error.

It forces NXDOMAIN resposes to have the Authoritative Answer flag set.
This is for the benefit of some old clients.  It should have no effect on
whether the server responds.

>  I'm assuming now that both of these systems were originally configured
>with 8.2.1  on RH7.2 and one was subsequently upgraded to 9.1.3.
>  I would appreciate any help in trying to figure out what could have
>gone wrong.  I'm assuming that there was a change required in the
>configuration and it wasn't completed.

If it's a caching-only server there should be no configuration changes
required between BIND 8 and 9.  Turn on tracing and see what the server is
doing when you send it queries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA