auotmatic updates

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 17 16:14:52 UTC 2002

In article <ac39lt$5quv$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Shaffer, Kurt <Kurt_Shaffer at steris.com> wrote:
>I was running BIND 8.2 on Solaris.  I recently changed the machine (still
>Solaris) and upgraded to BIND 9.1.2.
>
>Before I was getting "denied update" in the security logs.
>Now I am getting "unapproved update" in the security logs.
>
>I copied and am using the files named.conf and all the zone files from
>the old system on the new one.
>Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the versions and why BIND 9
>is allowing these updates
>I don't want it to allow?

It isn't allowing them.  The old message simply said that they were denied,
the new one says why it's not allowed.  They thought you would understand
the obvious implication (if you try to login to a system and it says
"Password incorrect", isn't it obvious that it's not letting you in?).

Most log messages have been reworded between BIND 8 and 9.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA