domain problem because of failing secondary ns at granitecanyon

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Fri May 17 07:01:32 UTC 2002

Hello,

I recently setup the premier-esp.com domain for a customer and added the
public dns servers as addtional secondary ns. Here is the whois entry:

   Domain servers in listed order:

   SARGON.LNCSA.COM             195.115.80.13
   URUK.LNCSA.COM               195.115.80.12
   NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM        205.166.226.38
   NS2.GRANITECANYON.COM        65.102.83.43

Then I configured the domain at through Granitecanyon's web form and all
seemed OK.

Fast forward 10 days and now the domain is utterly broken and no machine
where I have a shell account seems to resolve it at all:

	plessis:~% mx premier-esp.com
	premier-esp.com does not exist (Authoritative answer)

The domain is properly configured on the primary (sargon) and first two
secondaries (uruk and ns1), only the third secondary gives trouble or
can't be contacted.

All other domains I maintain on my two main bind servers (sargon and
uruk) work perfectly (eg: premier-lnc.com, premier.fr). As an addtional
safety I thought it would be a good idea to use Granitecanyon as backup
but it seems to mess up things pretty badly.

Did I miss something in my configuration?

Is it a bad idea in general to use Granitecanyon?

Can a single failing secondary (ns2.granitecanyon.com) bring down an
entire domain?

Could it be that Netsol has not properly updated the root servers? How
can I check that?

Thanks in advance for you insight, cheers,

ldm at apartia.org