Failed to refresh salve bind

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed May 15 20:21:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:51:43AM -0700, harelig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed 2 server with bind 9.2.0, master and slave.
> When I start the salve server it get the zone files from the master
> with no problem, but when I make changes in the master zone file,
> restart it and then restart the slave, the salve do not ask for
> updates as it use to in 8.2.3
> $TTL 10800
> @ IN SOA ns1.dev.com.  dnsmaster.dev.com. ( 1021381210 10800 3600
> 604800 86400 )

What is that serial number?  More importantly, did you ever increase
it?

If you don't increase the serial number, changes will not be sent over.

One common thing to do is to encode "today's" date in the serial
number, followed by two digits to allow you to make up to 99 changes
per day:

	YYYYMMDDNN
	2002051501	for the 1st change on 15 May 2002.
	2002051502	for the 2nd change on 15 May 2002.
	2002051601	for the 1st change on 16 May 2002.
	(etc.)

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B