How to default cnames???

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Wed May 15 19:11:23 UTC 2002

You do not have to have apache setup to handle *.mysite.com, howerver, you
will have to setup apache to use header parsing for your virtual sites.

The wildcard will resolve <anything>.mystie.com to the <ip address of your
web server>

I should correct myself and say the *.mysite.com will resolve anything that
doesn't have a specific RR...

Thanks,

Dave...

|         |           Barry Margolin   |
|         |           <barmar at genuity.n|
|         |           et>              |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           05/15/2002 01:13 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: How to default cnames???                                                                                 |

In article <abu17o$2j4l$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Remy Sharp <remy.sharp at gallio.com> wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but is it possible
>to have a primary record set up (mysite.com) and not specifically set
>up any cname records, but have something like a default that points
>all cnames to a specific IP?
>
>For example:
>
>www.mysite.com -> www.mysite.com
>home.mysite.com -> www.mysite.com
>xyz.mysite.com -> www.mysite.com

*.mysite.com. IN A <address of your web server>

>Without specifying 'home' or 'xyz' anywhere including apache conf.

I don't know enough about apache to know whether you can configure
*.mysite.com as a virtual host.  Ask in comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.