wierd mx record

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Wed May 15 13:31:47 UTC 2002

Dale,

If the entries appear as you show them below in the zone file then each of
the MX records is for a different email address...

For instance:

The first one is for mail addressed to <user>@NS1.<$origin>.

The second is for mail addressed to <user>@pop.<$origin>.

and so on.  While this configuration is not typical, there is nothing wrong
with it.  However, I doubt it does what your customer thinks it does...

Thanks,

Dave...

|         |           dale             |
|         |           <dale at blueridge.n|
|         |           et>              |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           05/15/2002 09:13 |
  |       To:       <bind-users at isc.org>                                                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  wierd mx record                                                                                              |

I have a customer that hosts there own DNS. When I went out to their
site to help them with an issue. After looking at their DNS, I was
amazed to find the following as the mx portion of their DNS.
I have inserted the words "ip address" as the ip address instead of
putting theirs.

NS1   IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail.domain.net.
pop   IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail.domain.net.
mail  IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 po.domain.net.
po    IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail2.domain.net.

I have never seen entries such as these. Any idea why it would have
been set up with all the same weights? I am assuming DNS would just
ignore anything past the first one. Is this a correct assumuption?
Thanks for any help,

Dale Toney