UNIX v Win2k

Sasso, John IT JSasso at mvphealthcare.com
Wed May 15 13:21:58 UTC 2002

Well, it seems like we agree on one thing - running DNS service on a UNIX
box is the preferable solution.  Now here's where we part ways ...

My statement "GUIs can't do everything for you!" applied in the context of
an earlier suggestion of managing DNS on a UNIX box from a Web-based (or
other GUI-type) interface; granted, other portions of the box can be managed
via GUI (to a certain degree, and depending on the OS).  MS-Windows is
managed virtually entirely by one GUI or another on the platform (from what
I've observed my fellow Windows admins do over the years), its ingrained in
the OS, as opposed to UNIX; I may be wrong, but it seems there are few CLI
tools on a Windows platform (i.e. DOS-based tools) to totally manage the
platform >>compared to<< what is available (and even necessary) GUI-wise.
So understanding this clarification, no, my argument does not self-destruct.
I cannot help the way Windows was developed :/

The contention of Barry and I is making the case to the business (y'know,
them upper management folks and execs) to hire someone with a UNIX
background to manage a DNS server, the sole UNIX box there (assuming the
business cannot outsource such service, for some reason; we do not for
security and management purposes).  In theory, that'd be the solution, but
theory doesn't always apply.  If you are running services on UNIX boxes, you
need UNIX admins; for Windows servers, Windows admins; ad infinitum.  To
deny such is to be naive.

--john