[NEWBIE] Port Question

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Tue May 14 16:33:14 UTC 2002

S,

DNS uses port 53 tcp and udp.  Also, out of the box, the source port for
queries will be a udp port >1023.  You can force this port with Option:

query-source ...

Dave...

|         |           "Socratez"       |
|         |           <socratez at lycos.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           05/14/2002 11:10 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [NEWBIE] Port Question                                                                                       |

I am setting up a file server at work that i want to act as a
Web/File/DNS/Caching/Mail server. My first thought's are which ports to
open
up for each of these services. Web is 80, mail is 23 125, DNS i am not sure
as well as caching..... if anybody could give me some help i would greatly
appreciate it. Thank you in advance, i can only be a newbie for so

Socratez