Authoritative Nameserver for Domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 14 16:19:38 UTC 2002

In article <abrcv8$1duc$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Darryl Bach <southend at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Hello All:
>I am trying to determine if we have been granted authority to answer DNS
>requests as the primary nameserver on our domain.  I have named running and
>have entered all the appropriate information in /etc/namedb, (zone files,
>named.conf etc).  What's the best way to determine if we are not only the
>primary nameserver for our domain, (vccaps.com) but have been granted
>authoritative rights on our static IP to answer DNS requests, (I'm probably
>wording this terribly, new to this).  I did a dig using Sam Spade but didn't
>have a clue at what I was looking at.

dig vccaps.com ns @a.gtld-servers.net

will list the nameservers that your domain has been delegated to:

vccaps.com.		2D IN NS	OPAL.NBNET.NB.CA.
vccaps.com.		2D IN NS	DNS1.vccaps.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
DNS1.vccaps.com.	2D IN A		142.176.162.195

So if your machine is dns1.vccaps.com (and its address is 142.176.162.195)
or opal.nbnet.nb.ca, then you have been granted authority for the domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA