Reverse DNS Lookup...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 14 16:10:32 UTC 2002

In article <abralk$1i15$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Jamie P Bontrager <jamie at kctc.net> wrote:
>Could someone inform me on where I can find some information on the
>"official" Internet Standards concerning Reverse DNS Lookup? Also, I'm
>interested in learning how others go about dealing with those who don't have
>a reverse DNS entry for their mail server. What actions do you take
>to make them comply, if any? What do you tell your customers, etc.?

The specification of how reverse DNS lookup is done is part of the DNS
specification, in RFC 1034 and 1035.  If you mean standards about whether
reverse DNS lookup is required, I don't think there are any official
standards.  There are de facto standards, based mainly on common practices
that are being taken to control spam.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA