Internal and External on One Server ( ?? SplitDNS ?? )

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue May 14 15:38:22 UTC 2002

Adam Retter <adam at cosmic.org.uk> wrote:
> Hey Guys,

> Im sure Bind can proberbly deal with this but I need some tips.

> I have BIND 9.1.3 running on two FreeBSD 4.3 Servers one Primary and one
> Secondary in a DMZ behind our Firewall. We are hosting about 200 zones or so
> as we are a Small WebHosting/Design company.

> What I want is this - When a Public IP address of a User from the Internet
> does a hostname dns lookup I want to return an IP address, say 212.104.137.2
> BUT when a lookup is done from a specific IP address, say 192.168.0.254 (A
> user on our Private LAN via. Gateway to our LAN) I want to return a
> different IP address say 10.0.0.2.

> Is this possible with BIND - i.e. Returning different results to queries
> depending on the IP address or Network address of the Client.

Yes, it's a built-in function of bind-9 called views.

You better upgrade to a more recent version, bind 9.2.1 will build
nice on freebsd ( there is no known security hazards with 9.1.3, but
there is a number of enhancements and fixes)

Together with the source is an excellent documentation "the arm book"
which has some nice examples of using views.

Mail me if you need more detailed info.

--
Peter Håkanson