round robin mx record possible?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon May 13 16:14:18 UTC 2002

PM Wong <s11976 at net1.hkbu.edu.hk> wrote:
> We run bind 4
> At present, we have an mx record for the
> our.domain pointing to some mail server so that all
> mails to addressed as xxxxxxxxx at our.domain  will be directed to
> the mailserver.our.domain host

> Under the top of zone file, the lines are:

> @       IN      SOA     dns1.our.domain root.dns1.our.domain. (1
>                         300     ; Refresh - 5 minutes
>                         60      ; Retry - 1 minute
>                         604800  ; Expire - 2 weeks
>                         43200 ) ; Minimum - 12 hours
>         IN      NS      dns1.our.domain.
> ; MX record for mail addrressed as our.domain
>         IN      MX      0   mailserver.our.domain.

> I would like to add another server to distribute the
> mails. Can i add another MX line so round robinning could
> achieve my goal?

I'm not clear what you want, do you mean that you will have
two mailservers, each will get half the number of mails ?
What will the mailservers do with the mail, route it to a third
 (possibly hidden) machine ?

In that case adding a line :
	IN	MX	0 another.mailserver.our.domain.
would do ( using same preference, zero in this case)

If you on the other hand would like to arrange for a mailserver
that will temporarily store mail destined to your mailserver
then add a line :
	IN	MX	100 another.mailserver.our.domain.

> If so, what should the MX lines be like?

Replacing bind-4 with a more modern one would make it possible
to use more reasonable timers in your SOA. The one you have
today might interfere with best practices)

--
Peter Håkanson