UNIX v Win2k

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Mon May 13 10:45:10 UTC 2002

>Has anyone had experience off migrating from UNIX BIND 8 to Windows 2000
>for DNS use.

Obviously a management decision. :))  But you're in luck, BIND8 and 9 run
fine on NT, W2K and XP.

>I am mostly looking for dis-advantages of this method, there a million and one
>sites on the web proclaiming the greatness of Microsoft products but not all
>that many who actually tell you the truth of what it is bad at and what falls
>over frequently.

If these will be public NS's, note that W2K DNS cannot not restrict
recursion selectively, it's recursion yes or no.  If you turn recursion on,
then all of internet will be able to use your NS's, with possible cache
poisoning, resource exhaustion, and cache buildup for users and crackers.
You'll also have to read up on the MS site about how to hack W2K DNS to
make it secure.

Len

www.menandmice.com/DNS-training : DNS Training
BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND for NT4 & W2K
IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways