env variable for default whois server?

Will Yardley usenet at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Mon May 13 04:51:56 UTC 2002

In article <abn4a0$f6ui$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
 those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
><abl65i$ee0m$1 at isrv4.isc.org> divulged:
>
>>I apologize if this is not a proper place to post this, but I can't
>>find the environmental variable to set to set a default whois server.
>>What is it?
>
> most whois clients don't use environment variables, you just have to
> specify the proper on on the command line, e.g.,
>
>   whois -h server query
>
> some will use WHOIS_SERVER.

some are smart enough to find the right server (sometimes) if you use
'whois -a'.

there's a cool command line tool called ipw for reverse whois lookups
that will find the right registry, and will even (usually) follow rwhois
referrals..

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.