"Ghost" Host record - moving DNS to a new IP

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 10 18:20:36 UTC 2002

In article <abfrlk$b8vh$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Torsten Mueller  <torsten at archesoft.de> wrote:
>The whois links for the hosts:
>https://www.netsol.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=NSD6860-HST&SearchType=ha&STRING2.x=24&STRING2.y=10
>and
>http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=NS8822-HST
>

>Is there a way to delete this record NS8822-HST (i didn't create it) ?
>Is there a way to find out, who created this record (to ask him/her to
>delete the
>record) ?

As far as I know, Host objects in the ARIN database do not get put into DNS
(glue records are never needed in IN-ADDR.ARPA).  In any case, that host
object exists because the following network registration references it.
Most likely, it was created by the coordinator of the network, so he should
be able to correct it.

Des Moines Area Community College (NET-DMACC)
   2006 South Ankeny Boulevard
   Ankeny, IA 50021
   US

   Netname: DMACC
   Netblock: 161.210.0.0 - 161.210.255.255

   Coordinator:
      Ollie, Jeffrey C [System Administrator]  (JO88-ARIN)  jcollie at DMACC.CC.IA.US
      +1-515-965-7057 (FAX) +1-515-965-7305

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   NS00.DMACC.CC.IA.US		161.210.216.100
   ZEUS.DMACC.CC.IA.US		161.210.216.101
   DNS1.ICN.STATE.IA.US		165.206.53.253
   NS3.DNSMADEEASY.COM		64.50.168.189