Help! New zones not transferring

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri May 10 17:37:42 UTC 2002

Joe Doe <jj at jj.com> wrote:
> I'm running Bind 9.1.3 on Linux 7.2.  I have a primary nameserver called ns

You better upgrade. 9.1.3 was novel a long time ago.

> and a slave called ns2.

> 1st question:  Do I need to make an entry in named.conf on the slave for
> each zone or is this done automatically? I've been adding them manually so
> far.
Yes. You must create named.conf for all namservers. And they must
describe all zones.

Automating this is of course possible, you could generate the configfiles
and transport them with rsync ( or any other method). Just pick the
method you find will return it's investment in time.

> 2nd question: When I initially setup the slave server(ns2) last week all the
> zones transferred perfectly from ns to ns2.  But yesterday I added another
> zone on ns(which resolves fine) and added the new zone entry in named.conf
> on ns2.  But the zone file doesn't transfer over when I update the serial
> number on ns and restart named.  What do I need to do to transfer new zones.
> Do I have to setup rndc?  The documentation seems confusing on rndc.  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you read the syslog ? What does it read ?

( if not , don't bother, upgrade to 9.2.0 or better 9.2.1 )

--
Peter Håkanson