Reverse DNS lookup

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 10 17:03:28 UTC 2002

In article <abgtqa$c2m7$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Johnathan Leppert <leppert at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>I am a T1 customer and whenever I do forward lookups on my domain, it yields
>the correct IP. However, when I do a reverse lookup based upon my IP it
>yields something like [myip].cust.provider.net. I don't currently run my own
>nameservers, I use Public DNS. What type of bind configuration would allow
>me to provide reverse lookup services for my IP, so my IP wouldn't be
>resolved to that myip.cust.provider.net.? Does it have something to do with
>the in-addr.arpa config, because I see this often when I do reverse lookups
>by IP.

You need your provider to customize your reverse DNS in one of two ways:

1) Change the reverse DNS entry to contain your custom hostname.

2) Delegate the reverse DNS for your address to some other nameservers,
e.g. ns1.granitecanyon.com and ns2.granitecanyon.com.  In this case, you
would then have to create this reverse domain on the GC nameservers, just
as you did for your forward domain.

But for most people this isn't necessary.  There's nothing wrong with
having two names (one in your domain, and the other in cust.provider.net)
resolve to the same IP, and the reverse lookup only has to resolve to one
of them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA