dynamic DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 9 15:00:24 UTC 2002

In article <abdulo$ai16$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Barry Finkel  <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
>"Johnathan Leppert" <leppert at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>>Is there anyway to specify a nameserver hostname which is on a dynamic DNS
>>service? That is, could I specify the DNS servers for the domain
>>mydomain.com to something like:
>>
>>ns1.mydomain2.com
>>
>>Mydomain2.com would then have a nameserver from one of the dynamic DNS
>>services. So when a request for mydomain.com would come in:
>>
>>- ns1.mydomain2.com would be looked up via the dyndns service and the IP
>>address would be obtained.
>>- the resolved IP address of ns1.mydomain2.com would then be contacted to
>>retrieve the nameserver address of mydomain.com
>>- mydomain.com would resolve into the same IP
>>
>>Is this possible? What I am getting at is I want to hide the fact I use
>>dynamic DNS by using a second domain name, and be able to run my own
>>nameserver for my own domain.

In general you can do this, but you probably can't do it for a 2nd-level
domain, e.g. mydomain.com.  This is because the domain registrars require
you to register the server hostname, and include its IP address in the
registration.  They need this so that they can install a glue record in the
parent domain (while the glue record isn't needed in your case, because the
nameserver is in a different domain, they install them just in case).

Since you need to have slave servers as well, I suggest you only list them
in the domain registration, and use your machine as a hidden master.
However, you'll need some way to update the configuration of the slaves
whenever your IP changes.

>You will have problems (if I interpret your scenario correctly).
>If I do a lookup, and I find
>
>     ns1.mydomain2.com  ===>  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
>my nameserver will cache that information.  It will remain there until
>the TTL expires.  If your DNS server gets a new IP address before
>my cache record has expired, then I will not be able to access your
>DNS.  DNS servers have to be on static IP addresses.

Dynamic DNS services always use very short TTLs to reduce the problems of
stale cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA