Win2K, BIND & Multi-master

John Lindemann jlindema at corp.adaptec.com
Wed May 8 21:35:03 UTC 2002

Hello all-

I've got a consultant here telling me that BIND can be set up with a
multi-master model.
I've been trying to get it to work (for several days), but everything I
currently know about BIND 8.2.3-REL goes against having multiple
masters.

Test #1:  I've configured just 2 servers.  A test domain -on server 1 is
configured as "master",
on server 2, it's a "slave".  Using nsupdate, (while on DNS server #1) -
I add a record, the master sends a NOTIFY, it's received, the slave does
a AXFR,  -and all's well.
(I'd like for it to do a IXFR... I can't figure that out either!)

Test #2:  I've configured just 2 servers.  A test domain -on server 1 is
configured as "master",
on server 2, it's also a "master".  When using nsupdate, again -on DNS
server #1, it sends the NOTIFY to server #2, but [I presume 'cause it's
also a master] I get:

        notify: info: NOTIFY(SOA) for non-secondary name

...and, as expected, the second "master" server ignores the update from
the "true" master.

I've been playing with "notify yes;".. and that doesn't make any
difference either.

My goal is to find a way to get BIND 8.2.3 replication-model to mimmic
Win2K's DDNS.  I need to allow for multiple company sites to each have
their own master for ....say... the adaptec.com zone.  If a Win2K client
in one site does a dynamic update- it'll update the DNS server specified
in the clients DNS settings... right?  That would be their *local* DNS
server.
Any ideas on how can I get the other "master" DNS servers to see their
update (and do IXFR's)?

Thanks in advance-
John