authoritative records for MX records

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed May 8 08:54:53 UTC 2002

Tan Chun Han/ITNOC/PBB/PBBG wrote:

> Anyway i can tweak my Bind / Sendmail?

Recent (According to my 1994 edition of the O'Reillys Sendmail
book) versions of sendmail look up CNAME records in MX records
even if the configuration is technically wrong, unless
configured not to.

Sendmail also logs a warning when it encounters CNAME records of
this type!

The site seems to have limited redundancy, so perhaps they were
just down? If it still won't send check out the sendmail
configuration to see if someone has switched this off, or if you
are running some version of sendmail so archaic as to be beyond
redemption.

I don't do sendmail anymore, few people need the facilities it
provides to handle non-SMTP mail, and better SMTP MTA's exist
IMHO.