Is this standard behavior?

Rasmus Aaen ra at back-bone.dk
Wed May 8 02:16:32 UTC 2002

Answers inline....

> > I noticed that the slave server updates the "modified" time on
> > the zone files only after the zone has expired and been
> > transfered again. It is my understanding that the modified time
> > on the files should be updated every two hours (7200 sec.) in our
> > case.

> I would not expect that.  I would expect the file time to change only
> when the zone is updated, which happens only when the SOA serial
> number is updated on the master or, as you say, after it expires.

Quoting Barry Mangolin in a previous post: "When you list the zone file on
the slave server, what is its modification time?  This is how the slave
keeps track of when it last successfully refreshed the zone, which is used
for determining whether the zone should expire".

> > In the logs I see a message that the zone has expired, and then
> > the zone is transfered from the master and loaded.

> Then the question to be asking is why did the zone expire in the
> first place.

Because the modification time on the files isn't updated.

> > This really
> > bugs me, since if the master server goes down, the slave will
> > start expiring zones too early.

> There's no reason to think that.  Every time the slave successfully
> queries the master for the SOA record the expire timer is reset.

See above.

/Rasmus