I am sooo confused...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue May 7 15:26:54 UTC 2002

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 05:24:10PM -0700, James Lee wrote:

> > > Hopefully, this will be my last question.  When I type nslookup on my
> > > server, it says:
> > >
> > > Default Server: localhost
> > > Address: 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > instead of my domainname and ip address.  Why is it doing this?
> >
> > Because whoever configured the reverse DNS for 127.0.0.1 pointed that record at the name
> > "localhost" instead of your domainname and IP address. Feel free to reconfigure it.
>
> Are you referring to the file db.127.0.0?  I tried changing this to my
> ip address and domainname but it failed.  Can you be a little bit more
> specific?  Thanks.

No, you shouldn't change db.127.0.0.  What you need to do is make sure
that you have reverse DNS set up properly for your "real" host name [as
'nslookup' is, incorrectly, very snippy about that], and then take
127.0.0.1 out of /etc/resolv.conf and put your network IP address [the
one associated with your "real" host name] in that file, instead.

PLEASE BUY AND READ "DNS and BIND" by Albitz & Liu, NOW.  Thanks.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B