Using Bind-9.2.1 on a WinXP Pro notebook

Alessandro Oliveira alessandro.o at nunoferreira.com.br
Fri May 3 19:40:14 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have a notebook running win xp pro that I use for web development and presentations, I've been using apache-1.2.4, php-4.2.0 and mysql-3.23.49 for some time, and I needed a mail server and a dns server for a new project. Fortunatelly I've chosen Bind-9.2 and xmail-1.7.

I've set up everything and the services worked as expected but only when I'm connected to some kind of network, ethernet or dialup.

When I'm connected I can ping, tracert the hosts configured on my local nameserver, and I can use the bind tools as well.

When I'm not connected, I can only use the bind tools like dig, host and nslookup. I guess that this happens because these tools use another resolver library and bypass the winxp ones.

How can I set up the winxp to use the bind resolver library or force it to query the local nameserver ?

Thanks for any comments,

Alessandro