Windows 2000 Client and Bind DDNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu May 2 14:06:04 UTC 2002

>pamidala at hotmail.com (Sreeni P) wrote:
>
>I need some expert advice to allow updates to Linux DDNS server
>(running on Redhat 7.2 w/BIND 9.1.3)from win2000 DC (I believe this is
>MS Active directory requirement). At this point, we successfully send
>updates to DDNS server from the same Linux machine running DHCP v3.0.
>The win2000 Domain controller is rying to send dynamic updates to DDNS
>and is failing to do so. Now, we can't move forward setting up Domain
>controller due to this.
>
>I can't imagine Linux's DDNS is unable to satisfy from Microsoft
>Domain controller's SRV records update? But, it is quite possible
>Microsoft may have used it's own proprietary standard.
>
>Has anyone had this trouble in the past? if so, please help us!!!

What error messages do you get when the W2k DC sends DDNS updates to
your BIND server?  Is there an event log entry on W2k?  Is there a
message in the BIND syslog?

Note that your updates will not be secure, as the MS TSIG/TKEY
security is proprietary, and has not yet been implemented in BIND.
If you do get your updates to succeed, your BIND server will have to
trust that the DDNS packets are really coming from the proper IP ]
address.

If you do not want DDNS on your BIND server, then you can FTP the
netlogon.dns records to your BIND server and add the required "A"
record manually.  For more details, search the archives of this list,
as there have been many W2k/BIND related postings since mid-1999.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov