Dig, nslookup fail when referencing other server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 1 22:08:24 UTC 2002

In article <aapkqa$c2fi$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>All indications point to a connectivity issue of some sort. You need to
>double-, triple-,
>quadruple-check your firewall configuration and/or routing configuration.
>Another outside
>possibility is that you have a congested link that is dropping packets.

I agree.  And I'll reiterate my earlier suggestion: use a sniffer to
capture the packets and see what's failing.  Try it at various places along
the path to see if you notice a difference (e.g. if you see the DNS query
on one side of the firewall, but not on the other, the firewall is probably
blocking it).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA