How does one configure BIND to communicate with the root servers?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Mar 29 09:08:19 UTC 2002

Brian Guild <Brian at body1.com> wrote:
> Guys,

> We are setting up our own internal DNS for an upcoming project.  We are
> using BIND.  I was wondering if one of your DNS gurus could answer one
> question for me....

> How does a given DNS server communicate its information to the root servers
> at-large?  I figure it makes sense that my server should be passing its
> information to other DNS servers around the world so that each time someone
> requests my site, it doesn't have to check with my BIND server first....that
> is, the information will be cached on other DNS servers out there.

DNS servers does not "make themself known". Instead you must delegate
from higher levels to lower ( = adding an NS record in the upper layer,
informing that anything beyound this lever should be sent to the
given servers)

> Does BIND do this automatically based on the TTLs and expiry dates I set
> within my zone files, or is there something else I have to configure within
> named.conf to allow for updates to be passed to the root servers...

> Also, if someone could clarify the process for changing DNS for my
> particular website, I would much appreciate it.  The way I understand it now
> is as follows:

> 1) Make the change at the Registry level (specify first, second, third DNS,
> etc.)

Correct.

> 2) Make sure the DNS server you specified at the Registry level has properly
> configured zone files and make sure that DNS server is also propogating its
> changes to the root servers.

They dont propagate upwards. They don't need to.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)