Wildcards for MX and CNAME in same zone - allowed?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Fri Mar 29 01:42:56 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:20:54PM +0000, those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
> <a7vp7p$4hf at pub3.rc.vix.com> divulged:
>
> >My public nameservers see about 5 CNAME queries per second. What is
> >making those queries I don't know, but your statement is not true.
>
> really?  queries for type=cname, not type=any and the response is a cname?

Really. Whatever makes BIND 8 stats dumps report CNAMEs, which I have
assumed was a CNAME query. I'm sure Mark or someone else can tell us if
that's not really the case.
--
Nate

Life is like sendmail: you're not sure you know how to handle it, but
you know it'll end in tears. -- Malcolm Ray
.
Life is like sendmail: It's complicated and hard to understand,
but it sure beats the alternative. -- Paul Tomblin