"no data known" vrs "host not found"

admjcd admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV
Tue Mar 26 17:27:03 UTC 2002

Yes, its sendmail and this is from a message header:  (8.8.8/1.1.22.3/21May99-0417PM) that says the version right?

There are Two DNS servers with one set up as a backup. I am actually the mail person and run our Exchange servers but our DNS peolple handle the sendmail server. They do not like that I am pressing this issue, but the customers call me when the mail fails.

Also I did some research on "negative Caching" and found this :

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2308.html

   "Negative responses without SOA records SHOULD NOT be cached as there
   is no way to prevent the negative responses looping forever between a
   pair of servers even with a short TTL.

   Despite the DNS forming a tree of servers, with various mis-
   configurations it is possible to form a loop in the query graph, e.g.
   two servers listing each other as forwarders, various lame server
   configurations.  Without a TTL count down a cache negative response

   when received by the next server would have its TTL reset.  This
   negative indication could then live forever circulating between the
   servers involved."