Two masters for failover web server?

Erik Wheeler 020430 at wheeler.com
Tue Mar 26 11:30:58 UTC 2002

Hi all:

I'm looking to set up a failover web server, and I'm wondering about doing
the following.

Host1 would be the main web server, and Host2 would be a mirror of Host1.
Host1 would also be the primary nameserver, and Host2 would have the same
zone file as Host1, and be configured as a master server.

So if Host1 goes down, the secondary nameserver will take over, and point
web requests to itself.

Is this kosher? Or am I going to pollute the nameservers of the world and
crash the internet, thereby ending life as we know it? I searched for info
on a setup such as this, but didn't find much.

Thanks,

Erik