"no data known" vrs "host not found"

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Mar 25 20:50:30 UTC 2002

In article <a7ntcg$k90 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, admjcd  <admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
>The problem does not exist for all of our sites. Only for two of our DNS
>server at one site.  And every other DNS server I queried is fine when
>ours is having the problem. I want these Dns servers to work like most of
>the others on the net? It also just does not happen to army.mil.  Even if
>their setup is "weird" it still works for most others and I don't have
>time to call these other domains and ask them to fix their DNS servers.
>Our users forward mail to third party domains to get it delivered when
>the problem occurs. We can also always send to these domains through
>hotmail and yahoo 100% of the time. I can not believe that there is not a
>way to fix our DNS servers without calling the other side??

I don't think it's a DNS server problem.  I suspect it's due to differences
in the mail software in use at your site versus hotmail/yahoo.  Since the
misbehavior only appears when performing ANY queries, I suspect your mail
server is using this type of query, whereas hotmail's server uses MX
queries.

I don't know if or how you can configure your mail server to use MX queries
instead of ANY queries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA