Logging Question Again

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Mar 25 19:30:54 UTC 2002

on 3/25/02 8:49 AM, Michael Kjorling at michael at kjorling.com wrote:

>=20
> First of all - upgrade! I dare say (without counting them) that
> *hundreds* of bugs have been fixed since BIND 9.1.0. The latest
> "stable" release is 9.2.0, and the latest is 9.2.1rc1.
>=20
> As far as your logging goes, what results do you expect and what do
> you get?
>=20
> For the auth-nxdomain log message, just set auth-nxdomain to no
> explicitly. I believe the Book mentions this, and it's under
> options{}.
>=20
>=20
> Michael Kj=F6rling
>=20
>=20
> On Mar 25 2002 08:26 -0800, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>=20
>> I have been reading the O'Reilly DNS and Bind book and can't figure out =
why
>> my logging is not working.  I have the following in my named.conf file, =
but
>> nothing is logged besides the startup line telling me what version is
>> running.
>>=20
>> logging {
>>         channel default_syslog {
>>                 syslog auth;
>>                 severity info;
>>         };
>>=20
>>         channel default_debug {
>>                 file "named.run";
>>                 severity dynamic;
>>         };
>>=20
>>         category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
>>         category lame-servers { null; };
>>         category config { default_syslog; };
>>         category notify { default_syslog; };
>>         category xfer-in { default_syslog; };
>>         category xfer-out { default_syslog; };
>> };
>>=20
>>=20
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>=20
>> P.s.  How do I get rid of this line in my messages file:
>>=20
>> Mar 25 08:04:51 apple named[15994]: the default for the 'auth-nxdomain'
>> option i
>> s now 'no'
>>=20
>>=20
>> I am running Bind 9.1.0-8.
>=20
I am currently running a Redhat rpm version of Bind.  Once I get enough
time, I will remove the rpm and compile from source.

The logs currently only tell me when Bind starts that it read the
/etc/named.conf file.  I am not getting a log messages about my slave
servers grabbing my zone files.  I figured the xfer-out category would log
each time my slave server updated its zone files with my master.  Am I
incorrect about this?

Jeff

--=20
Jeff Grossman (jeff at grossman.name)