re-delegation question

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Mon Mar 25 18:33:08 UTC 2002

You don't need IPv6 connectivity in order to serve zones containing
IPv6 data (AAAA, A6, PTRs in ip6.{arpa,int}, DNAMEs, etc.)

For example, ulv.mcpoolen.se (which is only available over IPv4 at the
moment), is a slave server for the zones mcpoolen.se and
f.1.0.1.0.0.6.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int which contain IPv6 data (granted, only
AAAA and PTRs, but that doesn't make any difference). No problems at
all.

So as long as the name server implementation understands the records
being used there is no reason you shouldn't be able to just delegate
as usual.

Of course, if one name server has only IPv4 connectivity and the other
relies solely on IPv6 then it's an altogether different beast. But
then it's not a BIND configuration issue. (And _very_ few people are
running IPv4-free IP networks today.)

Michael Kjörling

On Mar 25 2002 12:48 -0500, Haiyan Li wrote:

> Domain d.example.net is delegated to nameserver1 from example.net
> to us, but now I need to host d.example.net zone on another name
> server - nameserver2 for ipv6, which is not available on nameserver1.
>
> My question is:
> If re-delegation is not legal, is there a way to make this work
> other than the following two:
>
> 1, slave nameserver1 to nameserver2, which is is not possible in this
> case, since nameserver1 don't have ipv6 which is needed for this zone.
>
> 2, having the parent (example.net) dns changed to delegate to nameserver2
> directly, but I'd prefer to not to do this if possible, I can
> make changes to my local dns quickly without contacting the parent.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
>

> Haiyan

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

``And indeed people sometimes speak of man's "bestial" cruelty, but
this is very unfair and insulting to the beasts: a beast can never be
so cruel as a man, so ingeniously, so artistically cruel.''
(Ivan Karamazov, in Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov')