BIND on static IP DSL

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Mar 25 15:44:25 UTC 2002

In article <a7lncf$88o at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Josh <hostmaster at saysomething.com> wrote:
>I have DSL and am trying to run BIND on a machine with a local IP
>(10.0.0.123). The DSL line has a static IP (assigned to my router) and I am
>trying to route DNS traffic (with NAT) from the router to the machine
>running BIND.
>
>Through logging I can see requests coming in to the machine, but it seems
>the responses are not getting back out, as my domain names are not
>resolving.
>
>Can someone please tell me what ports I need to route to get the responses
>to the servers requesting them???

You need to allow TCP and UDP port 53 in to your server.  But if your
logging shows that you're receiving the queries, it seems like you must
have already done this.  The replies don't go to any specific port, they
just go back to whatever port they came from, and the NAT should take care
of making that happen.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA