a problematic DNS setting

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 24 12:28:29 UTC 2002

Fermion wrote:

> I am new to DNS configuration. I try to set up a DNS for my domain(abc.cxm)
> My named.conf is as follows:
> // generated by named-bootconf.pl
>
> options {
>  directory "/var/named";
>  forward first;

You don't have any forwarding zones so is this just to trip you
up later ;)

> };
>
> //
> // a caching only nameserver config
> //
> zone "." IN {
>  type hint;
>  file "named.ca";
> };
>
> zone "localhost" IN {
>  type master;
>  file "localhost.zone";
>  allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>  type master;
>  file "named.local";
>  allow-update { none; };
> };
> //zone file for external mail delivery
> zone "abc.cxm" IN {
>  type master;
>  file "name.abc.cxm";
> // allow-update { none; };
> };
> zone "0.162.198.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>  type master;
>  file "named.abc.cxm.reverse";

We'd need to see this file to know if it has "1 PTR
paul.abc.cxm" defined. To answer the nslookup issue below.

> };
>
> and the name.abc.cxm:

What no $TTL statement?

> @     IN     SOA  abc.cxm. root.abc.cxm. (
>  200002051;
>  43200;
>  3600;
>  3600000;
>  2419200;

Eek 2419200 as negative time to live! Probably default TTL as
well.

> )
> @     IN     NS    abc.cxm.
> @     IN     MX  10  abc.cxm.

Urm no "A" record for abc.cxm ? So where exactly will your mail
go?

> localhost   IN  A   127.0.0.1
> paul     IN  A   198.162.0.1//The IP of the DNS server
> Tom   IN  A   198.162.0.3
> www      IN  CNAME  abc.cxm.
> ftp      IN  CNAME  abc.cxm.
> mail     IN  CNAME  abc.cxm.

Hmm, well I don't like excessive CNAMEs but I guess they are
okay!

> and my resolve.conf
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

168 or 162 - you seem to be a tad inconsistent - computers don't
like that ;)

192.168 is probably what you want through out these file.

nslint would have spotted this inconsistency.

> But when I type nslookup paul at the colsole(not connected to the internet)
> I got the following error message:
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Server failed
> *** Default servers are not available
> The same message appears when I try nslookup at Tom's computer
> Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem??

Explained under the hosting of the reverse zone... Learn to use
"dig" not "nslookup".

> (current I am using Bind 8.2)

8.2.what exactly, fully 8.2.X where X >=3 ? I prefer 9.2.0.