What's Wrong with CNAMEs? (was Re: Prefixless domains)

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 23 13:26:05 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> I have a question for all of you snobs who avoid CNAMEs like the plague:
> how do you deal with reverse records when multiple names must resolve to
> the same IP address? Multiple PTR records don't work, of course. What
> reasonable alternative is there, besides making one of the names be an
> A record, with the other (n-1) names being aliases to that name? Can't do
> that with zone-apex names, of course...

canonical IN A 127.0.0.1
fred IN A 127.0.0.1

1.0.0.172.in-addr.arpa. PTR canonical

Why do multiple PTR records not work, you mean the application
you are thinking of can not handle them correctly? I think the
standards say they should work, but the standard doesn't say
what you do with them.

It was all much simpler when canonical meant canonical ;)