Internal roots and Internet access ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 23 00:35:41 UTC 2002

No, you're basically stuck. The way all of your remote nameservers are
configured, they are sending "iterative" queries to your internal root
nameservers. Iterative queries, as opposed to recursive queries, are never
forwarded. So if you were thinking that your internal root nameservers could
just forward the Internet queries to the Internet root nameservers, that idea
won't work.

The only way I could think of that you could get away with not changing the
configurations of the remote nameservers is to play some sort of
routing/NAT games to fool them into thinking that the Internet root nameservers
have addresses on your internal network. That solution is too ugly to live.

Seems to me that at the very least you'll have to change the remote
nameservers' configurations from an "internal root hints" one to an "Internet
root hints" one (if/where the remote nameservers have connectivity to all
Internet nameservers through the packet-filtering firewall) or a "global
forwarding" one (if/where they don't).

- Kevin