Zone File Updates

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Mar 22 22:28:46 UTC 2002

In article <a7g97k$knm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jeff Grossman  <jeff at stikman.com> wrote:
>I am running Bind 9.1.0 on a Redhat 7.1 system.  When I make a change to a
>zone file in /var/named, do I have to reload Bind to see the change?  Is
>there a utility out there that can do this for me?  I know if I make any
>changes to the named.conf file I would need to reload Bind.

Yes, you have to do "rndc reload", or "rndc reload <zonename>" to make it
reread the zone file.  You could write a simple script that checks whether
any zone files have changed since the last time the script was run, and
reloads named if so:

#!/bin/bash
NAMEDDIR=/var/named
TIMEFILE=$NAMEDDIR/last-reload
newfiles=$(find $NAMEDDIR -type f -newer $TIMEFILE | wc -l)
test $newfiles -gt 0 && rndc reload
touch $TIMEFILE

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA