Using ndc to query remote NT BIND DNS server

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Fri Mar 22 20:02:00 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 07:18:10PM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <a7ergl$b9k at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <graham.lake at trelleborg.com> wrote:
> >
> >Is it reasonable to think that ndc can be used from a Linux BIND 8.2.5 DNS
> >server to query a remote NT  BINDCtrl 8.2.5 DNS server?
>
> No.  ndc uses a Unix-domain socket, not a network socket.  BIND 9's rndc
> uses network sockets (the "r" presumably stands for "remote").

No. ndc uses a Unix-domain socket by default, but can use a network
socket. I've verified that it works from one Linux box running 8.3.1 to
another Linux box running 8.3.1. Someone else will have to speak on
whether or not it works against NT.

See http://www.acmebw.com/resources/papers/bind82.pdf for a description
of using ndc over the network with BIND 8.
--
Nate

The only truly safe "embedded system" is the system that has an axe
embedded in it...